Barbecue enthusiasm seems to be growing every year, and many backyard cooks, no longer content with burgers and chicken, are venturing into the mysterious and myth-laden realm of smoking. Of all the different smoker designs available, pellet smokers are the easiest to use, because they are thermostatically controlled, just like your kitchen stove. The pellet meat smoker tries to combine the convenience of the electric and propane meat smokers with the flavour of the charcoal smoker. The pellet smoker gives you a deeper smoky flavour than the electric and propane models, while keeping most of their convenience. Also, contrary to the electric smokers, the pellet smoker does not need to be plugged into an outlet, which makes it easily portable.
There are certain reasons as to why pellet smokers are better and more convenient to use than electric smokers.
- One of the primary reason being that the working of pellet smoker is entirely based on usage of wood, while electric smokers use wood only for flavour. Hence, you get a more traditional wood taste in former.
- Another factor which contributes to the traditional taste provided by a pellet smoker is its dry environment. On the other hand, electric smokers have a moister environment than the pellets, but that’s why the pellet smoker has a more conventional look.
- Pellet grills are versatile. You can barbecue, smoke, roast, grill, and even bake or braise in a pellet grill.
- Pellet smokers, unlike the electric ones, preheat fast (10 to 15 minutes). The design discourages flare-ups.
- Some pellet smokers allow you to regulate temperatures in 5-degree increments, giving you a strict heat control capability. In the cooking chamber, a thermostat sends precise signals to the controller and regulates pellet delivery. Whereas in electric smokers, the use of thermostat and various other features is quite complex.
- Pellet smokers are lighter and easier to transport as compared to the electric ones, and are generally low maintenance.
- You can easily reload and cook for longer period of time using pellet smoker. Its cooking chamber can be loaded up without fear of uneven cooking, as it works like a convection oven.
- There is a very little probability of over-smoking the food in a pellet smoker. Also, the smoke flavour is more subtle than the sometimes acrid smoke generated by an electric smoker.
- The pellet smokers are available in various sizes ranging from small to large, including commercial size units that can accommodate pulled pork or a whole hog for a large number of people. It can also provide additional wood smoke flavour by the use of hardwood chunks or pouches of soaked wood chips directly on the heat diffuser plate.
- Pellets are easily available, they come in a variety of flavours, such as pecan, hickory, mesquite, alder, apple, cherry, bourbon, maple, etc., and can be mixed as well as changed in just few minutes.
So, if you want a great balance of convenience and flavour, a pellet smoker would be the perfect choice of meat smoker for you.